Thursday, September 15, 2011

Visiting a Battlefield


On Saturday we decided to take a day trip to visit the site of the Battle of First Manassas (Bull Run to you rebs out there ;).  Michael and I tried to explain it to the kids but it was difficult to do.  They know who President Lincoln is because of school history and the penny.  We told them how the South felt they were being treated unfairly and they didn't want to be a part of the United States anymore.  We explained that President Lincoln told them no and then they started fighting.  I know there's much more then that.  My poor brother is probably cringing at my explanation.
It's hard for me to bring my kids to places like this.  I appreciate it from a historical point of view and I know it's terribly important to remember the past and to honor those that lost their lives.  But that's just it, so many, many people died there.  I can't shake that feeling when I'm visiting.  It makes me sad.  It's hard for me to understand.  All I could think about while we were there was the confusion, the inexperience, and the fear of all those soldiers.  This was the first battle.  Union soldiers enlisted for just 90 days, everyone thought the war would be over as soon as it started.  No one really knew what they were doing.  I cannot imagine how LOUD it must have been with all the cannon and gunfire for those 10 hours.  From a distance the land looks a little hilly but it seems you can see forever, but believe me, once you are walking around in those hills, you can't see ANYTHING!  Any number of soldiers could be all around you and you wouldn't have a clue.  I was pretty overwhelmed walking on those trails.  Here are my pictures.  It was a beautiful day.
What has this tree seen?
Family shot.
Looks flat---you wouldn't believe how hard it is to see!
The house survived but it's owner did not, she's buried next to it.
View of the battlefield.
Another view.
Memorial for the two battles here.
Stonewall Jackson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you visit battlefields no matter where they are, you will have that feeling. What we must remember is it is sacred ground. You are doing a great job showing the kids history. We must know where we came from so we may go forward. Too much of our history is not being taught in the schools. Keep right on telling and showing the kids as much history as you can. They come from a family line all the way back to 1630 in Mass. Glad you had a wonderful day. Grandma

Anonymous said...

You have quite the opportunity living in VA to show your children so many places and give them a sense of the reality of the history they learn in school.
Can't wait until you go to Mount Vernon.
Love,
Mom