Friday, March 28, 2008

Flooded Spring Break

Finally, it's time to cover our trip up to St. Louis. We went for Spring Break last week and even though Noah would have been freaked with the amount rain we witnessed, we still had a great time. It was a QUICK trip. All 6 of us drove up on Friday afternoon (We were blessed to have Michael get to come up even if just for the weekend!) The trip went great with the exception of a little vomiting. Kaden threw up at dinner at the BK, nice, huh? And Gabriel puked all over Grandmom's porch and entry way of the house. Whoops. So yes, we had sickness once again in Missouri. Gabriel was sick Saturday, Sunday and still puny on Monday. Bless his bones. He didn't want to lay in bed or on the couch even. Just wanted to be right smack dab in the middle of Grandmom's family room floor. See:Michael was just there for the weekend and so Mom and I took advantage of that. We went shopping on Saturday just the 2 of us and it was wonderful. I usually don't get too much one-on-one time with my Momma when I am home because of the 4 precious ones we have running around. I had a blast Mom! On Sunday we didn't go anywhere because Gabriel was sick. Various family came over on Sunday and Monday to spend time with us. Thanks everybody! Michael left on Monday night to go back to work. Poor guy, not much of a break for him!
On Tuesday my poor Momma was sick and spent half the day in bed and half on the couch. It was pouring outside once again so we Harmons stayed put. On Wednesday there was actually a break in the weather and we headed out to the mall, this was the kiddos first time out of the house since we got there on Friday! The rain kept us in. Wednesday night we met cousin Mel for dinner at our fav Red Robin (YUM!) The kids were so good, we had such a fun time out. On Thursday we just hung out at home again. Luke and I ran some errands and went to see my Granny for a while. And Friday we headed back to OK. I didn't take many pics in STL but here is Luke reading to Aunt LeeAnn and Kaden from my brothers old elementary school reader! He did such a great job (Thad--remember the story of the mouse who eats the cheese and thinks it's the moon?! That's the story he read!) And there's a photo of my sweet girl playing.The Friday trip, what an experience! It is supposed to be between a 7 and 8 hour drive from St. Louis to Oklahoma City but the kids and I made it in record time--10 hours and 10 minutes! Yep! Remember all the rain?! Well it led to flooding. I'm sure you heard about it on the news... It just so happens that the highway you take from Mom's house to the Interstate was flooded over. So I had to couple a couple miles out of the way to get on the interstate farther east. And then we waited. The intersection of these 2 roads was ridiculous. The crews were watching the waters rise hoping they wouldn't have to shut down the interstate. For those of you familiar with the area (almost everyone who reads this blog anyways) this was at I-44 and 141.
This is what we were sitting in:
Pretty creative picture I think, through the rear view mirror...cool. This is why it took so long:

Note the MODOT truck in front of me driving more sandbags out there to 'save' the interstate. This is what my backseat looked like:

THANK GOODNESS for the DVD player!!! This is how long it took:

Actually the end was the worst part and so it ended up being 10.5 miles in 1:44 minutes! Yep. That was awesome! This, however, is NOT so awesome. This was the problem. This is coming up on the 141 intersection:

These pics are right west of there. The water is almost to the to top of the doors on one side of the road and on the other you can BARELY see the top of the street signs!And these poor horses. I hope this place ended up coming through all of this flooding okay!

As 'not-fun' as it was sitting in the van for that long I couldn't help but think look what all these people were having to deal with so what's a couple of hours in my car?! Please send a prayer up for those that were affected by the flooding.

No comments: