Monday, May 26, 2008

Successful surgery

Friday was my surgery and all went well. It was a tad more interesting then I would have wanted but it was a success overall and that is what is important.
When the doc looked inside my ear he realized that I did in fact have the cholesteatoma (skin cyst) he thought I did NOT have. That changed the surgery completely and he celled Michael in the waiting room. At first he said they wouldn't be able to do the surgery at all but since I was "under" did Michael want him to do some exploring so they would know what kind of surgery they would have to do next time. Smart boy that he is allowed the doc to look around in there. They drilled through my skull behind my ear to get a better view. Not too long after that they called Michael again saying that they got the cholesteatoma out and my hearing bones all looked good. The doctor did notice some clear fluid around my hearing bones and they couldn't find a leak but went ahead and put some fat from my earlobe in there to fix a microscopic leak if there was one. He finished by fixing the hole in my eardrum with skin from behind my ear and it was over. It was a success. When I woke up from surgery the first thing I wanted to do was go to the bathroom. They had me walk there and it was quite a ways for anyone coming out of anesthesia. They left me in there alone and it's a miracle I didn't fall. On the way back I told them I was going to get sick and the nurse kept saying "you're almost there, you'll make it", I said "No, I'm sorry" and proceeded to throw up on the floor. Then someone held a trashcan underneath me so I was puking and saying "thank you". Turns out trash can man was my doc. They walked me the last 5 feet to the bed and he had me follow his finger with my eyes. He said my eyes jumped and so decided I would have to stay the night in the hospital. He thought maybe I was sick because of the clear fluid (which I am assuming was cerebral-spinal fluid--right my medically enhanced family members???) We waited for a room for about an hour and then they put me upstairs. I was a little relieved thinking I would get a good nights sleep but I forgot how much they come in while you are in the hospital, I was checked on over 20 times. I didn't get that much sleep at all. The doc had me on bed rest and so I was at a 40 degree angle all night long with the massage stockings to make sure I didn't get blood clots and I had to use a bed pan. UGH! That was pretty terrible. Thankfully it was just that one night. The kiddos and Michael came and picked me up outside of the hospital Saturday morning. The car ride made me VERY sick to my stomach and I spent much of the weekend in bed. But I think I deserved it! I am not in that much pain but once it starts hurting I take a pain pill. Michael thinks I was sleeping too much and wanted me to switch from the pain meds to Tylenol. I have done that but I don't know if the Tylenol is going to cut it just yet. I am trying though... And so now I just have to live with hardly any hearing out of my left ear because it is full of gel while it heals. I go back in the doc in a month for a check up. That's my news. Here are some pics from the hospital. I took these myself with my cell phone:

Here are my stitches behind my ear, I can't really see them. Michael called me Frankenstein but the pic doesn't look that bad I don't think. I still can't really see them!Oh yeah, and all that hair right there has glue in it. I don't know how in the world I am going to get that out. It feels gross and I don't like it, but I guess I will keep trying with each shower... And here are my beautiful flowers from Belva and James :) Thanks guys so much! They are GORGEOUS!Thanks for all the prayers, well-wishes, and phone calls. It meant a lot to me! Thanks to Kelly and Michael (her Michael) and my old-faithful Michelle for watching the kiddos on Friday for us. It was MUCH appreciated. We love you all!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

HOLY CRAP!!! Michael (your Michael) didn't mention ANY of that when he called. I feel horrible for going to Tulsa now. I'm so glad it went smoothly. I was stressing myself. You now have a cool scar, and at least your toes still look pretty in the hospital bed :) Love you!!!

Dan, Kellie & Kiddos said...

Jesse - I'm so glad you're home. Are you feeling better? I say if the Tylenol doesn't cut it, take the good stuff! Even super-mom's deserve some down time! I hope you're feeling better soon! Did the glue ever come out of your hair?