Tuesday, August 26, 2008

6 month check up

I took the boys in to the dentist yesterday for their 6 month check up. I told them before we went that if they were ALL good and good the WHOLE time that we would have Mickey D's for dinner. That was enough for them to *promise* me they would be good. Guess what? Oh ye of little faith, they were good, they were great actually. Everyone listened and obeyed. It went so smoothly I was waiting to wake up from a dream. They went a perfect 0 for 3, meaning NO cavities! Yeah! That was a blessing. Everyone was brave, everyone listened, it seemed to be an easy trip. Does it sound like there is a but coming? Because there is a but coming. All was good, but then the dental tech noticed a bump on Luke's gum. She brought me back to him to ask if I had seen it before. "Nope." Oh my gosh, did I feel terrible! I felt (again) as the world's worst mother, how did I not notice this? It looks disgusting which is why there is no picture for you to see what I am talking about. Okay so long story short, this bump is the draining of an abscess, seems one of the cavities Luke back in Feb has killed his tooth. The tech said sometimes the dentist doesn't want to go all the way to the root and so it must not have been fixed all the way. Uh, that sucks! So it needs to come out. They are going to pull it. That makes number 2, he's already had a tooth pulled. Bless his bones. Luke did get upset about this. He kept saying "I don't want any cavities." He doesn't really get the difference I guess. But because this is a baby tooth and they don't want to lose space for the adult one that is not there yet they also have to put a spacer in. So all of this will happen next week. Ugh. I just feel bad for Luke.
So after our easy (but a little sad) time at the dentist we went to Target and the boys picked out new toothbrushes. The dentist gave them Sponge Bob and Shrek, neither of which my kids watch or I like very much. Gabriel chose Hulk, Luke has Power Rangers, and Kaden chose one that looks like an orange Crayola crayon. We are all set! Then I took the kiddos to Chick-Fil-A and they all ate a great dinner and they played and played at the playpark. It was a good afternoon and evening for us. We needed it and we got it!
I promise I will be back with pics soon!

1 comment:

Tabatha Aikins said...

That's too bad about Luke. It's never fun for kids to have cavities, but he sounds like a champ. Good luck to him on his next visit to the dentist! From the sound of it, your 6-month check-up went well. Good job!