Friday, October 03, 2008

My Broken Boy

WARNING this post contains pictures that are NOT for the faint of heart!
Thursday afternoon at 4:30 Luke Thomas jumped off his bed and broke his arm. I'll give you the story first (I'll try to be quick) with the pictures to follow. And what pictures they are!
So Thursday--I was watching my friends 2 boys so they could go on a date night! Luke and Kaden were in pretty stinky moods and they were fighting like crazy, getting in yelling matches. I sent Kaden to my room and Luke to his. Luke wasn't in there very long and he started calling me with a half cry/half whine voice. I figured he wanted out of his room. I went in there and he was laying on the floor with a broken arm and he said calmly "It hurts Momma." I could IMMEDIATELY tell it was broken because of the angle of his hand coming off his arm. I called my date friends and they came right over. Jonathan stayed with his 2 boys and my 3 littler ones at my house while Michelle drove Luke and I to the hospital. We waited about 15 minutes before the took him back, they put him straight in a room and did x-rays. Bless his heart. He was calm the whole time, he just kept saying that he didn't want a shot. He broke his radius bone almost all the way through and it was bent at a 70 degree angle just behind his wrist. There ARE pictures coming. We waited for the ortho doc and he decided to use the operating room and anesthesia to set Luke's arm because it was going to be hard and extremely painful to do. So that all started around 8:30 or so. Everything went great and we just had to wait for Luke to wake up from his anesthesia and all. Well he didn't want to wake up. After Loritabs, a nausea medicine, benadryl, morphine, anesthesia...the kid would not wake up. They said it would take about 45 minutes or so. After about 3 hours the nurse called our ortho doc and he said Luke should probably stay the night. Michelle offered to stay with my other kiddos so I could stay with Luke at the hospital. What amazing friends I have! God is SO good. About midnight we moved him up to the Peds ward, they moved him over onto his new bed and he popped up like nothing had happened. "When did my cast get on?" "I'm thirsty." etc, etc. We got to come home around 2:30 this afternoon (Friday). Luke has been doing great and he says he not in pain. I'm so proud of him. He is doing just great!
For those of you wondering, when I called Grandma (mom-in-law) after we got to the hospital, she sent an e-mail to Michael and he was able to talk to Luke at the hospital before the setting and has talked to him today after we got home. Daddy is very proud too!
Here come the photos. They are in reverse order. They start with the cast and work down to the broken bone. BE WARNED! They are not pretty pics, well not the last ones anyways. Here is my sweet boy and his hospital day.

Ouch, huh?! Bless his bones. I am so thankful to God that it wasn't worse then it was and for all the prayers those of you have sent up for us! Thank you to Michelle and Jonathan for loving us and helping taking care of me and my family!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh sweet Luke Thomas.... I am so sorry to hear about your arm. Now you have to go and get that cast all signed up by your classmates. Feel Better kiddo! Give your mom lots of hugs for being the best momma out there! I love you!

Belva Jean said...

Ouch! We are so having you guys in our prayers. Good job, Luke and Jesse for being brave.

This is to Michelle & Jonathan - Thank you SO MUCH for taking care of our family. I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that someone is there to help out since we can't be. You are a blessing.

Mark and Emma said...

Poor Luke! He was so brave!! Sounds like you were, too, Jessi! I broke my arm at that same spot when I was his age. No fun:( Mark and I are sending hugs and kisses his way! Let us know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

My kids never get hurt like this when I'm home. Huh? Thanks to Dutch and Michelle for hooking us up. You can imagine my response when I go the e-mail that Luke broke his arm. Way to go boy, you are growing up!! Love you guys.

Mike/Dad

Dan, Kellie & Kiddos said...

oh my goodness! Poor, brave Luke! I'm glad he's not in much pain! how did Mama do through the whole process

Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

Been praying for you since Deb told me on Friday. I don't know how you do this sans hubby! Give him a big hug from his cousins!