Thursday, April 17, 2008

Becoming Well Read

I love to read. I read very quickly. I breeze through novel after novel. At some point this spring break I realized that I should put my 'talent' to good use and start educating myself more. I told myself from now on I would read a biography/autobiography for every one of my fictions. I don't really know what started this desire but learning more and expanding your mind is not a bad thing. I don't like history much, my brother takes the cake there. He knows just about everything there is to know. He has a crazy library filled with all sorts of nonfiction. I am impressed by that. Now, I realize I will never be like Thaddeus in that way, but maybe after this I can hold some deep discussions with him. I know that he will be recommending some books to me. The best part of this new goal is that I can choose who/what I want to read about. Just so happened Luke was studying the coins at school and did a project of my first read. Can you guess who I am reading about?!

Yep. I am reading "His Excellency" about George Washington. WOW! It's quite interesting. I realized that I cannot read biographies as fast as novels. At least not this guy because of his post-doctoral language he uses throughout. Every 5 pages or so there is a word I cannot even pronounce let alone understand. Good thing I am a context reader so I can basically figure out what he means...I'll have to check with Thad when I am done :)

***Next up is the novel "Atonement" and my next biography is about William Wilberforce, the Parliamentarian who spent his life abolishing slave trade in England. He was the subject of the wonderful movie "Amazing Grace" from last year. I'm excited :) I'll keep you posted. Maybe one key fact from each of my books.

---------------------------------------------------------------
About Josie now. Since you have not seen any pics of Josie walking, there are only a few things you can conclude:

1--this is my 4th child and it's just not that exciting anymore

2---I am just a slacker parent

3---I am a bad blogger

4---she isn't walking yet

The correct answer would be 4. Josie is not walking yet. Not only is she not walking, she is not standing. Not pulling up. Nothing. Our pediatrician has put a referral into Sooner Start, a great program they have here in OK where they come to your house to work with your kiddos. Josie will get an evaluation soon. I am still waiting for a call from them. I'll keep you posted on my sweet girl too :)

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Let us know how Josie's evaluation goes. At a year, Benjamin wasn't doing any of that either, but he started walking at 15 months. Were your boys early walkers?